University Council Commisions Power Substation
The Chairperson of the Technical University of Kenya Dr. Halima Saado, accompanied by members of the Council, Vice-Chancellor Prof. Francis Aduol, University Management and other members of staff, commissioned an 11Kv power substation situated at the university main campus.
Dr. Saado thanked the university management, Kenya Power & Lighting Company (KPLC), the contractors and other stakeholders who spearheaded the construction of the station.
The Chairperson of the Council noted that the project will boost supply of power within the university. This will advance training of students as well as spur industrialisation and therefore, generate income to the university.
Council member Eng. Joseph Nkadayo appealed to the university to ensure that they achieve high maintenance standards for the power sub-station to avoid any inefficiency.
The university is currently supplied by power which was installed in 1974, and has a 1750 kVA generator acting as a backup. The Substation will therefore increase the capacity of power supply to the machines in the Engineering workshops and boost the generator’s output power.
Over the years, TU-K has witnessed infrastructure developments and this has resulted in the construction of Block U, upgrading of Block B, C and Block Q. This has therefore overstretched the existing capacity of power supply from the main grid.